    SubjectRe: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature

    Lee Revell <> writes:
    > IMHO the requirements gathering process usually works well. When
    > someone with a (for example) address posts a patch there's an
    > implicit assumption that it addresses the needs of their gadzillions of
    > users. Still, RH hires professional kernel developers, people who
    > produce known good code will always have an easier time getting patches
    > merged. If Linus & co. don't know you from Adam and you show up with a
    > patch that claims to solve a big problem, then I would expect them to be
    > a bit skeptical. Especially if the problem is either low priority or
    > not well understood by the major distros.

    I guess you're right, Lee. I hadn't thought of it that way. It just
    looks broken to me because we have no standing in any normal kernel
    requirements process. That's a shame, but it does seem less like a
    systemic issue.

    I think the distributions are getting more interested in these issues.
    Maybe that will help. The RT-LSM is available as a module in Debian

    Back when I did OS development for a living, there was a huge focus on
    defining user requirements. But, our kernel development was never
    organizationally separate from the rest of the OS. That makes a big

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.020 / U:62.904 seconds]