Subjectupdated list of unused kernel exports posted
Hi,

an updated list of currently unused-on-i386 kernel exports is now posted
at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/arjan/unused based on
2.6.11-rc4-bk7.

Note 1) the URL of the location has changed; the previous URL led to
several vendors of binary modules to contact my employer in the hope to
pressure to get certain symbols off that list. This list has nothing to
do with my employer and as such I decided to move it to a more neutral
URL to not cause that incorrect burden.

Note 2) this list contains all unused symbols regardless of merit; it
contains pure bloating symbols but also symbols for emerging new
functionality not fully merged and generic library helpers.

The following symbols are added to this list since the last posted list;
some of these will be of the "emerging functionality" type, others will
be now-redundant and should be investigated for removal; after all each
exported symbol uses easily over a hundred bytes of unswappable kernel
memory for every linux user out there.

+++ unused.new 2005-02-19 21:27:59.556557390 +0100
+alloc_chrdev_region
+attribute_container_add_attrs
+attribute_container_add_class_device
+attribute_container_add_class_device_adapter
+attribute_container_class_device_del
+attribute_container_classdev_to_container
+attribute_container_device_trigger
+attribute_container_remove_attrs
+attribute_container_remove_device
+attribute_container_trigger
+backlight_device_register
+backlight_device_unregister
+class_device_create_bin_file
+class_device_remove_bin_file
+cpufreq_get
+cpufreq_parse_governor
+debugfs_create_bool
+debugfs_create_u16
+debugfs_create_u32
+debugfs_create_u8
+device_for_each_child
+fb_create_modedb
+fb_get_monitor_limits
+get_sb_pseudo
+hugetlb_total_pages
+ib_find_cached_gid
+kernel_subsys
+lcd_device_register
+lcd_device_unregister
+mt352_read
+nr_free_pages
+nr_pagecache
+nr_swap_pages
+pccard_static_ops
+phys_proc_id
+platform_get_irq_byname
+platform_get_resource_byname
+__scsi_print_sense
+scsi_sense_desc_find
+slab_reclaim_pages
+sysctl_overcommit_memory
+sysctl_overcommit_ratio
+totalram_pages
+total_swap_pages
+try_acquire_console_sem
+tveeprom_dump
+usb_bus_init
+vm_acct_memory
+vm_committed_space
+w1_search_devices
+wait_for_completion_interruptible
+wait_for_completion_interruptible_timeout
+wait_for_completion_timeout

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.115 / U:0.116 seconds]