SubjectRe: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview II
Here's an interface proposal that may be a middle ground and
should satisfy both small and large system requirements:

The system call interface would be:

page_migrate(pid, va_start, va_end, count, old_node_list, new_node_list);

(e. g. same as before, but please keep reading....):

The following restrictions of my original proposal would be
dropped:

(1) va_start and va_end can span multiple vma's. To migrate
all pages in a process, va_start can be 0UL and va_end
would be MAX_INT L. (Equivalently, we could use va_start
and length, in pages....) We would expect the normal usage
of this call on small systems to be va_start=0, va_end=MAX_INT.
va_start and va_end would be required to be page aligned.

(2) There is no requirement that the pid be suspended before
the system call is issued. Further requirements below
are proposed to handle the allocation of new pages while
the migrate system call is in progress.

(3) Mempolicy data structures will be updated to reflect the
new node locations before any pages are migrated. That
way, if the process allocates new pages before the migration
process is completed, they will be allocated on the new
nodes.

(An alternative: we could require the user to update
the NUMA API data structures to reflect the new reality
before the page_migrate() call is issued. This is consistent
with item (4). If the user doesn't do this, then
there is no guarentee that the page migration call will
actually be able to migrate all pages.)

If any memory policy is DEFAULT, then the pid will need to
be migrated to a cpu associated with one of the new_node_list
nodes before the page_migrate() call. This is so new
allocations will happen in the new_node_list and the
migration call won't miss those pages. The system call
will work correctly without this, it just can't guarentee
that it will migrate all pages from the old_nodes.

(4) If cpusets are in use, the new_node_list must represent
valid nodes to allocate pages from for the cpuset that
pid is currently a member of. This implies that the
pid is moved from its old cpuset to a new cpuset before
the page_migrate() call is issued. Any nodes not part
of the new cpu set will cause the system call to return
with -EINVAL.

(5) If, during the migration process, a page is to be moved to
node N, but the alloc_pages_node() call for node N fails, then the
page will fall over to allocation on the "nearest" node
in the new_node_list; if this node is full then fall over
to the next nearest node, etc. If none of the nodes has
space, then the migration system call will fail. (Hmmm...
would we unmigrate the pages that had been migrated
this far?? sounds messy.... also, not sure what one
would do about error reporting here so that the caller
could take some corrective action.)

(6) The system call is reserved to root or a pid with
capability CAP_PAGE_MIGRATE.

(7) Mapped files with the extended attribute MIGRATE
set to NONE are not migrated by the system call.
Mapped files with the extended attribute MIGRATE
set to LIB will be handled as follows: r/o
mappings will not be migrated. r/w mappings will
be migrated. If no MIGRATE extended attribute is available,
then the assumtion is that the MIGRATE extended
attribute is not set. (Files mapped from NFS
would always be regarded as migrateable until
NFS gets extended attributes.)

Note that nothing here requires parsing of /proc/pid/maps,
etc. However, very large systems may use the system call
in special ways, e. g:

(1) They may decide to suspend processes before migration.
(2) They may decide to optimize the migration process by
trying to migrate large shared objects only "once",
in the sense that only one scan of a large shared
object will be done.

Issues of complexity related to the above are reserved for
those systems who choose to use the system call in this way.

Please note, however that this is a performance optimization
that some systems MAY decide to do. There is NO REQUIREMENT
that any user follow these steps from a correctness point of
view, the page_migrate() system call will still do the correct
thing.

Now, I know that is complicated and lot of verbage. But this
would satisfy our requirements and I think it would satisfy
the concern that the page_migration() call was built just to
satisfy SGI requirements.

Comments, flames, suggestions, etc, as usual are all welcome.
Ray Bryant
512-453-9679 (work) 512-507-7807 (cell)
raybry@sgi.com raybry@austin.rr.com
The box said: "Requires Windows 98 or better",
so I installed Linux.