    SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: Hotplug blacklist and video devices
    On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 16:14 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:08:22 -0500, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
    > > Under Fedora (and RHEL), they're there because we generally
    > > don't want to load them unless the user asked for them.
    >
    > Is there a specific reason why they are blocked?

    One reaseon might be that the framebuffer devices can cause problems,
    e.g. with proprietary X drivers.

    > For example I'm looking at making changes to DRM such that DRM will
    > require the corresponding framebuffer driver to be loaded.

    Ignoring my suspicion that people won't like stuff getting forced down
    their throats like this (why would a DRM _require_ a framebuffer
    device?), does the hotplug blacklisting of the framebuffer devices
    matter at all if the DRM depends on them, i.e. won't they be loaded
    regardless when the DRM is loaded?

    --
    Earthling Michel Dänzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
    Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer