SubjectRe: 2.6: drivers/input/power.c is never built
Hi!

> > I wouldn't want to pass all the battery info (UPSes can be even more
> > complex, able to switch on/off individual sockets, etc) through input,
> > just the basic events:
> >
> > AC power on/off
> > battery full/normal/low/critical/(fail)
> >
> > Then the other power-related events
> >
> > Lid open/closed
> > Power button
> > Sleep button
>
> What is the benefit of splitting the flow of information so?

Well, if you have power button on usb keyboard -- why should it be
handled differently from built-in button?

> > I think that's all you need to trigger actions. You don't need the exact
> > percentage of the battery, and you don't need the exact AC voltage at
> > input.
>
> That is very debateable. I might want a quiet mode and would be
> interested in notifications about thermal data and fan status.

Hmm, yes, some thermal notifications are needed. OTOH I'm not sure if
all the hardware does sent interrupts for temperature changes (you
definitely do not get interrupts for "small" changes that do not cross
trip points), and I do not see how you can do interrupts for fan
status. Either fans are under Linux control (and kernel could tell you
when it turns fan on/off, but...), or they do not exist from Linux's
point of few.
Pavel