SubjectRe: 2.6.10: irq 12 nobody cared!
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Does the box still work? It may well be that once all drivers have had a
> chance to initialize their hardware properly, the problem is just gone,
> and that the interim reports about not being able to handle the irq are
> just temporary noise.

The box seems to work fine; on the other hand, I don't have a mouse or
keyboard plugged in, it's my router machine. (In this particular
instance, I had a keyboard plugged in after I realized I goofed up with
some modules, but generally I don't do that.)

> Of course, even if it works, the noise _is_ actually indicative of a
> problem. There shouldn't be any pending interrupts, especially not
> level-triggered ones. And it can cause a non-working mouse if you don't
> load the driver for the wireless card (or vice versa).

If I have to reboot the box for something, I'll experiment with plugging
in a mouse before loading hostap. (But see below)

> What was the previous kernel you ran on that machine, just out of
> interest? If it hasn't happened before, it would be interesting to know
> when it started happening...

It used to be running 2.4.27, where there was no evidence of such a bug
occurring. I'd rather not bother with trying to find out what's going on
if it'll require me to reboot with all sorts prerelease snapshots, since
this is my web server, mail server, etc...

--
Joshua Kwan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.156 / U:0.436 seconds]