    SubjectRe: avoiding pci_disable_device()...
    At Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:05:58 -0500,
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > >>No. You also need to consider situations such as out-of-tree drivers
    > >>for the same hardware (might not use PCI API), and situations where you
    > >>have peer devices discovered and used (PCI API doesn't have "hey, <this>
    > >>device is associated with <current driver>, too" capability)
    > >

    > > there's not a lot you or anyone else can do about such broken (and often
    > > proprietary) drivers.... if a device doesn't use the kernel API's its
    > > end of game basically. Adding more new API's isn't going to help you ...
    > This specific instance isn't about adding a new API, but using an
    > existing one correctly.
    > If pci_request_regions() fails, that implies another driver is using the
    > kernel API to let you know the region is unavailable. You should honor
    > that, by not disabling the hardware in that case.

    I guess an enable counter as Alan proposed would fix this problem
    well, except for the case that an out-of-tree driver allocates the
    resource without calling pci_enable_device().

    OTOH this will introduce more buglets to broken drivers which don't
    call pci_disable_device() properly. Consequently, the ad hoc fix to
    each driver like Jeff's patch might be most practical...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.020 / U:1.124 seconds]