    SubjectRe: [rfc/rft] Fujitsu B-Series Lifebook PS/2 TouchScreen driver
    Am Dienstag, den 15.02.2005, 09:43 -0500 schrieb Dmitry Torokhov:
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:43:08 +0100, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz> wrote:
    > > On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:57:59AM +0100, Kenan Esau wrote:
    > > > +static struct dmi_system_id lifebook_dmi_table[] = {
    > > > + {
    > > > + .ident = "Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook B-Sereis",
    > > > + .matches = {
    > > > + DMI_MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "LIFEBOOK B Series"),
    > > > + },
    > > > + },
    > > > + { }
    > > > +};
    > >
    > > This might be a bit too much generic. Are you sure there are no B Series
    > > lifebooks without a touchscreen?
    > >

    > And another concern: does this notebook (or others using this
    > touchscreen) have an active MUX? We don't want to force LBTOUCH
    > protocol on an external mouse.

    All B-Series Lifebooks have the same touchscreen-hardware. But Dmitri's
    concern is correct -- at the moment I would enforce the LBTOUCH-protocol
    on external mice...

    I have to fix this. I will additionally to the DMI stuff use "Status
    Request". On a "Request ID"-Command the Device always answers with a
    0x00 -- could this also be helpfull?

    > > > +static psmouse_ret_t lifebook_process_byte(struct psmouse *psmouse, struct pt_regs *regs)
    > > > +{
    > > > + unsigned char *packet = psmouse->packet;
    > > > + struct input_dev *dev = &psmouse->dev;
    > > > +
    > > > + unsigned long x = 0;
    > > > + unsigned long y = 0;
    > > > + static uint8_t pkt_lst_touch = 0;
    > > > + static uint8_t pkt_cur_touch = 0;
    > > > + uint8_t pkt_lb = packet[0] & LBTOUCH_LB;
    > > > + uint8_t pkt_rb = packet[0] & LBTOUCH_RB;
    >
    > We usually don't use userspace types here. unsigned char or u8 for kernel.
    >
    > > > +
    > > > + psmouse->protocol_handler = lifebook_process_byte;
    > > > + psmouse->disconnect = lifebook_disconnect;
    > > > + psmouse->reconnect = lifebook_initialize;
    > > > + psmouse->initialize = lifebook_initialize;
    > > > + psmouse->pktsize = 3;
    > > > + }
    > > > +
    > > > + return 0;
    > > > +}
    > >
    > > The change to the psmouse interface I'm leaving to Dmitry to comment on.
    >
    > I don't think that we need a separate initialize handler simply
    > because it is called just once, at initialization time. Here we know
    > exactly what device (protocol) we are dealing with, no need for
    > indirection.

    I introduced the new initialize-handler since psmouse->initialize() is
    also used in psmouse-base.c. This is to prevent putting if-statements on
    each place where the initialization-function for a certain protocol is
    called in psmouse-base.c.

    I admit since I am also using a different reconnect-function than
    psmouse-base it's not such a huge benefit but think of a new
    protocol/device which uses the same reconnect-function as psmouse-base
    but a different init-function.

    My goal was to have no dependency from psmouse-base to the
    lifebook-handling (none but lifebook_detect()). Thus the indirection is
    IMHO needed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.058 / U:278.656 seconds]