    SubjectRe: PATCH: Address lots of pending pm_message_t changes
    [Trimmed Cc]

    On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:15:56AM +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > > Well, yes, if you switch pm_message_t into struct. But we are not yet
    > > ready to do that... it is going to be typedefed to u32 for 2.6.11...
    > Ah. So I haven't realised that Bernard took your patches wholesale,
    > which is why we're fixing the compile errors too :>
    > Okay then, I guess the whole thing isn't urgent then?

    I was taking the whole shebang in order to differentiate between
    PMSG_FREEZE and PMSG_SUSPEND - they're currently typedef'd to the
    same thing (3), so drivers such as ide-disk can't decide whether or
    not they need to spin down for the atomic copy or for powering off.
    (Otherwise you'll find the HDD spinning down and up mid-suspend).

    I believe vanilla swsusp passed "3" as the power state hence the HDD
    spun down and up anyway, so there were no regressions there, just
    bugs. Software Suspend 2 passed "4" as the power state which
    ide-disk.c treated as "flush caches, but don't spin down". This is
    what broke when the new typedefs went in, but would be fixed when
    they're complete (whole shebang).

    Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.020 / U:40.908 seconds]