    SubjectRe: Radeon FB troubles with recent kernels
    On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:08:11AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > > Appeared ? hah... that's strange. X is known to fuck up the chip when
    > > quit, but I wouldn't have expected any change due to the new version of
    > > radeonfb. From what you describe, it looks like an offset register is
    > > changed by X, or the surface control.
    > >
    > > My patch did not change any of radeonfb accel code though...
    > >
    > > I'll catch up with you on IRC ...
    > Ok, from our discussions, it's not related to the power management code,
    > and an engine reset triggered by fbset fixes it. So at this point, I can
    > see no change in the driver explaining it...
    > We did some changes to the VT layer to force a mode setting (and thus an
    > engine reset) when going away from X, so I can't see why that wouldn't
    > work, while using fbset later on works ... this goes through the same
    > code path in the driver... unless we are facing a timing issue...
    > X is known to play funny tricks, like touching the engine when it's in
    > the background (not frontmost VT) and quit, or possibly other bad things
    > on console switch. Maybe I changed enough delays (speeded up) the mode
    > switch so that we fall into a case where X has not finished mucking up
    > with us...
    > Can you try adding some msleep(200) or so at the beginning at
    > radeonfb_set_par() or radeon_write_mode() to see if that makes any
    > difference ?

    Nope. No printk outputs from _set_par, _write_mode, or _engine_init.

    Just to clarify: the gdm stop is done from tty1 while gdm is running
    on tty7, so I don't think it's a matter of mode switch logic.

    If I do "sleep 5; /etc/init.d/gdm stop" and then switch to tty7 and
    wait for it to stop, all is fine.

    Also, I'm still seeing the LCD blooming + hang on starting radeonfb.
    It's something like 1 in 10 boots rather than every boot now though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.025 / U:29.580 seconds]