Subject2.6.10 thru 2.6.11-rc3 hang
Date
This is probably an isolated incident, but I am having kernel hangs using
2.6.10 thru 2.6.11-rc3. I have tried all different patchsets (mm, ck, cko),
and all produce the same behavior. 2.6.8.1 does not produce the behavior.
Basically, after a few minutes, the kernel hangs, and interrupts are
apparently not working as the keyboard leds don't respond anymore. I
recently swapped out a cdrom for a dvdrom drive, and was able to use it fine
for a while with ck4 patched to 2.6.10. Then I got gutsy and tried the mm
patch for 2.6.10, to start using reiser4. That was when the kernel started
doing this hanging. One surefire way to trigger a hang is to start a dvd
with mplayer: the dvd reads the first few frames of any dvd, then hang;
however, hangs happen randomly otherwise. I am running KDM as a login
manager, and X obviously when this happens, but without DRI. I also have
tried going back to vanilla kernel, reformatting my drive to reiserfs3, and
an otherwise previous state, but the kernel still hangs. I even unplugged
lots of stuff inside the PC to see if it was a current draw issue, but that
had no effect; besides 2.6.8.1 works (although X got really really really
slow and jerky for some reason). I made sure all the CFLAGS were unset
before compiling, and this is with gcc-3.4.1, as have been the past umpteen
kernel builds for me. I think I screwed up my system, or triggered some
obscure bug, but please send any ideas my way, and CC gregdavis@ieee.org as
I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks,
Greg Davis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.030 / U:1.084 seconds]