    SubjectRe: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume (was: Re: [ACPI] Samsung P35, S3, black screen (radeon))

    > >>Rumors say that notebooks no longer have video bios at C000h:0; rumors
    > >>say that video BIOS on notebooks is simply integrated into main system
    > >>BIOS. I personaly do not know if rumors are true, but PCs are ugly
    > >>machines....
    > >>

    > >A small number of laptop systems are known to pull this trick. There are
    > >other problems too - the video bios boot may make other assumptions
    > >about access to PCI space, configuration, interrupts, timers etc.
    > >
    > >Some systems (intel notably) appear to expect you to use the bios
    > >save/restore video state not re-POST.
    > Isn't that what it's there for? In any context other than save/restore I
    > wouldn't think using the BIOS was a good approach. But this is a special
    > case, and if there's a BIOS function which does the right thing, it
    > would seem to be easier to assume that the BIOS works than that the
    > driver can do every operation for a clean restart.
    > The problem is that while POST leaves the video in a known state, it may
    > not the known state you want, nor is it a given that you can get from
    > there to where you were on suspend. PC hardware isn't always that
    > dependable.

    Eh? POST leaves video in 80x25 text mode, and we know how to handle
    that mode just fine... Historically that's what we ran our consoles
    at, so X can handle it etc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.025 / U:55.660 seconds]