    SubjectRe: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume (was: Re: [ACPI] Samsung P35, S3, black screen (radeon))
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Sad, 2005-02-05 at 09:35, Pavel Machek wrote:
    >>Rumors say that notebooks no longer have video bios at C000h:0; rumors
    >>say that video BIOS on notebooks is simply integrated into main system
    >>BIOS. I personaly do not know if rumors are true, but PCs are ugly
    > A small number of laptop systems are known to pull this trick. There are
    > other problems too - the video bios boot may make other assumptions
    > about access to PCI space, configuration, interrupts, timers etc.
    > Some systems (intel notably) appear to expect you to use the bios
    > save/restore video state not re-POST.

    Isn't that what it's there for? In any context other than save/restore I
    wouldn't think using the BIOS was a good approach. But this is a special
    case, and if there's a BIOS function which does the right thing, it
    would seem to be easier to assume that the BIOS works than that the
    driver can do every operation for a clean restart.

    The problem is that while POST leaves the video in a known state, it may
    not the known state you want, nor is it a given that you can get from
    there to where you were on suspend. PC hardware isn't always that

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.072 / U:6.616 seconds]