    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On Monday 05 December 2005 21:56, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
    > Do you think this opensource hardware could keep up with nvidia and ati
    > hardware development? Joe sixpack is all about the fastest hardware.

    Not really. The early adopters and cutting edge gamers are, sure. For
    everybody else its price/performance and "good enough to run my games". The
    playstation 2 is how many years old now? But it's still selling fresh
    copies, and will until the PS3 comes out. (And even then, people will still
    play PS2 games.)

    Like everything else, this is application driven. If it runs World of
    Warcraft and City of Heroes, there's a market for it. May be a cheap market,
    but it's there. Especially if it fits nicely in laptops, has low power
    consumption, doesn't need a cooling fan...

    (Also, keep in mind that half of graphics performance is how much texture
    memory the sucker has and how fast the ram it talks to is.)

    (I remember the days when games had a selection menu so you could tell it what
    kind of sound card you had. 3D video cards are still there. Won't last

    Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.

      Last update: 2005-12-10 03:19    [W:0.022 / U:11.376 seconds]