SubjectRe: [ACPI] Re: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap
On Iau, 2005-12-08 at 09:14 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> These are only for PATA. We don't care about _GTM/_STM on SATA.

Even your piix driver supports PATA. Put the foaming (justified ;))
hatred for ACPI aside for a moment and take a look at the real world as
it unfortunately is right now.

> Further, SATA completely resets and re-initializes the device as if from
> a hardware reset (except on ata_piix, which doesn't support COMRESET,
> and PATA). This makes _GTF uninteresting, as well.

You don't know what the sequences the resume method is concerned about
actually are.

> suspend/resume works just fine with Jens' out-of-tree patch.

Only on some systems.

> > If you don't run the resume methods your disk subsystem status after a
> > resume is simply undefined and unsafe.
>
> I initialize the hardware to a defined state.

Sure, but sometimes the *wrong* defined state. The BIOS ACPI methods
include things like unlocking drive passwords on restore with some
systems. You don't handle that at all.

Having said that I still think ACPI awareness doesn't belong in libata
or scsi because we'd then have awareness of every pm scheme in the wrong
layer and a dozen pm systems all with scsi hooks. Gak...

SCSI/libata can go easily from ata channel to pci device to device. The
rest of the logic belongs outside of scsi/libata.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-12-08 15:34    [W:0.099 / U:0.188 seconds]