SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:57:55PM -0500, John Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:54:22 -0800, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't think people realize that the -stable series only contains
> >patches that other people send us. For the most part, Chris and I
> >aren't going out there and activly writing up fixes for some of these
> >issues, as we both don't have the time and energy to do this.
>
> The -stable series was a good idea, and thanks for doing it. Adrian's
> idea is a natural extension of what you started.
>

> >And also, anyone else can easily take over maintaining these kernel
> >branches. The git trees are public, as is our stable patch queue. So
> >if anyone wants to maintain older kernels, it is quite easy to start the
> >process.
>
> So if Adrian wants to begin where -stable ends, there is no reason for
> people to oppose his efforts.

I've read the whole thread, and I haven't seen anyone opposing my idea.

Most people in this thread who did or do maintain some kernel branch
simply expressed that in their opinion my idea would be too much work
for too few users...

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.