    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On Maw, 2005-12-06 at 01:43 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
    > As far as I know, many of the recent CVE assignments for kernel
    > vulnerabilities have been done by MITRE, requested by individuals
    > which are neither known as kernel developers, nor vendor security
    > folks (for "vendor" as in "we have our own legal department with real
    > lawyers").

    Most of them will be because vendors employ security professionals to
    handle security CVE work and do all the tedious and terribly important
    tracking of bugs v releases and what needs to be fixed by whom and when
    - and developers to write code.

    > Maybe the source of CVE assignments paints a wrong picture. But if
    > the CVE picture is correct, vendor-paid kernel developers help behind
    > the scenes, but there is little interest in openly documenting
    > security issues, so that users (and what considers fringe
    > distros) can apply the relevant patches if they use
    > kernels.

    The 2.6.x.y maintainers are directly involved in
    last time I checked.

    > database. But the only answers we get is that everything is fine,
    > vendors handle the situation, actually does this
    > already, etc.

    Having someone doing that on sounds a good plan

      Last update: 2005-12-06 21:39    [W:0.022 / U:4.812 seconds]