SubjectRe: Kernel panic: Machine check exception
On 12/6/05, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
> Although on the Opteron that is usually what it is (as memory
> errors can be reported through the machine check interface)
>
> In this case bank 4 is the appropriate bank. Although the
> other bits don't look right for a memory error. I wonder
> if it is that darn iommu fault again.
>
> To decode an Opteron machine_check you can look in
> the bios and kernel programmers guide. (Possibly the
> architecture but I think that is too generic) to see
> what all of the bits mean.
>
> It is a pain but is faster than poking blindly in
> the dark.
>
> Eric

Wow, I'm glad you send a reply. I've been looking into RMA'ing this
board and that would mean 3-4 weeks without a mobo, and I'd especially
hate to think it's actually not a hardware problem after waiting that
long. Something I did notice you said was about the IOMMU, which I
guess i should have mentioned in the first place errors out in the
beginning of the dmesg.

I get this same dmesg message in all kernels I have tried so far
(vanilla and -mm) 2.6.13+

Maybe I should compile it out for now? Unfortunately this lockup isn't
predictable, so I'm forced to just tool around until things lockup
(usually happens between 15 minutes and 12 hours :))

Also, I am merely a layperson. I just took a quick look over
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF
and it's unreadable by myself.

PCI-DMA: Disabling IOMMU.
ACPI-0412: *** Error: Handler for [SystemMemory] returned AE_AML_ALIGNMENT
ACPI-0508: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.MEM_._CRS]
(Node ffff81003ffb6f80), AE_AML_ALIGNMENT
ACPI-0156: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.MEM_._CRS]
(Node ffff81003ffb6f80), AE_AML_ALIGNMENT
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:04.0
IO window: disabled.
MEM window: f0000000-f7ffffff
PREFETCH window: e0000000-efffffff