    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:23:57PM -0800, Tim Bird wrote:
    > Dave Airlie wrote:
    > >>To the larger argument about supporting binary drivers,
    > >>all Arjan manages to prove with his post is that,
    > >>if handled in the worst possible way, support for
    > >>binary drivers would be a disaster. Who can disagree
    > >>with that?
    > >>
    > > And do you think that given the opportunity, any company is going
    > > spend the extra money required to not do it in the worst possible
    > > way??
    >
    > I meant "handled in the worst possible way by
    > the kernel developers". It *is* possible to define
    > stable APIs and have them used successfully.
    >
    > POSIX is not the greatest example, but it seems
    > to work OK. I realize that drivers are more
    > tightly bound to the kernel than are libraries
    > or applications, but sheesh, this is not rocket
    > science.

    For people to think that the kernel developers are just "too dumb" to
    make a stable kernel api (and yes, I've had people accuse me of this
    many times to my face[1]) shows a total lack of understanding as to
    _why_ we change the in-kernel api all the time. Please see
    Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt for details on this.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

    [1] My usual response is, "If we are so dumb, why are you using the kernel
    made by us?", which usually stops the conversation right there.

      Last update: 2005-12-06 05:11    [W:0.022 / U:147.264 seconds]