SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
Date
On Monday 05 December 2005 17:05, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:47:55PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> > So no in-kernel filesystem can get this right without help from userspace
> > (even devfs had devfsd), and as soon as you've got a userspace daemon to
> > tell the kernel who is who you might as well do the whole thing there,
> > now that the kernel is exporting everyting _else_ we need to know via
> > /sys and /sbin/hotplug.
>
> /sbin/hotplug is suboptimal. Even a pretty fast machine is slowed down
> pretty significantly by the ~thousand fork and exec that take place during
> startup.

Why do you need hotplug events on startup? Can't you just scan /sys for "dev"
entries do the initial populate of /dev from that?

> For the most common devices -- common tty, pty, floppy, etc that
> every system has, this is a plain waste of resources -- otherwise known as
> bloat.

I get those from a scan of /sys, and only care about hotplug events that come
in after that. (Could just be me...)

> -ben

Rob
--
Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.