    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

    [...]

    > You mentioned security issues in your initial post. I think it would
    > help immensely if security bugs would be documented properly (affected
    > versions, configuration requirements, attack range, loss type etc.)
    > when the bug is fixed, by someone who is familiar with the code.
    > (Currently, this information is scraped together mostly by security
    > folks, sometimes after considerable time has passed.) Having a
    > central repository with this kind of information would enable vendors
    > and not-quite-vendors (people who have their own set of kernels for
    > their machines) to address more vulnerabilties promptly, including
    > less critical ones.

    I've fixed bugs which turned out to be security vulnerabilities. And I
    didn't know (or even care much) at the time. Finding out if some random bug
    has security implications, and exactly which ones/how much of a risk they
    pose is normally /much/ harder than to fix the bugs. And rather pointless,
    after the fix is in.