    SubjectRe: Broadcom 43xx first results
    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:54:00 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Complete bullshit. There is obviously 802.11 generic code in the
    > kernel, and that's what _I_ am saying, because it's true.
    >
    > If it doesn't support your favorite wireless chipset, then submit patches.

    I have no favorite chipset. I read tons of source code of different
    drivers instead. Current 802.11 code supports no management stuff at
    all. And nearly every driver needs support for it - ask any developer of
    wireless driver except James Ketrenos (oh, wait a moment - although ipw
    devices do, unlike other devices, a lot of work in firmware, he is
    implementing in the driver some management stuff too - strange, is not
    his own "stack" good enough even for himself?).

    And, as you might notice, I sent many patches. Only minor ones were
    accepted. And then I started (and attended) a debate among wireless
    developers about concepts of 802.11 stack, do you remember? And it gave
    us interesting results. That results were implemented (patches were sent
    and not accepted).

    It may appears that I stopped afterwards, but it is not true. Nearly
    after that debate had finished, Jouni announced opensourcing of the
    stack he has been working on for several years. From that time I have
    been trying to get familiar with that stack, it is quite complex. I have
    one semi-working driver for it now and I think I know about issues of
    the stack.

    --
    Jiri Benc
    SUSE Labs