SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > As I say, these aren't licensed for inclusion into the kernel, they bear
> > a (C) Copyright notice and "All rights reserved."
> and
> so it *IS* gpl licensed!
> the code is a bit horrible though and no surprise it breaks ;)

Yes. "extern type foo; static type foo;" is way stupid, but 10% of the
blame can be shifted on the GCC guys for being much too tolerant.

> you can always make drivers broken enough to break at the slightest
> change ;)
> (it also seems to contain an entire ipmi layer, linux already has one so
> I wonder why they're not just using that as basis)

Perhaps the dates give a clue. Since when has Linux had IPMI in the
baseline code?

Matthias Andree