SubjectRe: [SCHED] wrong priority calc - SIMPLE test case
Paolo Ornati wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:34:46 +0100
> Paolo Ornati <ornati@fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>

>>>It is a patch against the 2.6.15-rc7 kernel and includes some other
>>>scheduling patches from the -mm kernels.
>>
>>Yes, this fixes both my test-case (transcode & little program), they
>>get priority 25 instead of ~16.
>>
>>But the priority of DD is now ~23 and so it still suffers a bit:
>

> I forgot to mention that even the others "interactive" processes
> don't get a good priority too.
>
> Xorg for example, while only moving the cursor around, gets priority
> 23/24. And when cpu-eaters are running (at priority 25) it isn't happy
> at all, the cursor begins to move in jerks and so on...

OK. This probably means that the parameters that control the mechanism
need tweaking.

There should be a file /sys/cpusched/attrs/unacceptable_ia_latency which
contains the latency (in nanoseconds) that the scheduler considers
unacceptable for interactive programs. Try changing that value and see
if things improve? Making it smaller should help but if you make it too
small all the interactive tasks will end up with the same priority and
this could cause them to get in each other's way.

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au