    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 10:31:03PM +0100, M. wrote:
    > makes sense, but are you sure having distros like Debian, enterprise
    > products from redhat etc using the same 6months release for their
    > stable versions does not translate in minor fragmentation on kernel
    > development and in benefits for every user?

    It hasn't so far from my viewpoint. Do you think it has?

    > Under this light i think a 6months cycle starts to mean something when
    > stable distros gets older and older (debian and redhat enterprise are
    > released every 18/24 months) and developers and who wants bleeding
    > edge features can always use Fedora, openSUSE, Gentoo etc. Another
    > advantage would be to benefit external projects and hardware producers
    > writing open drivers, enlowering the effort in writing and mantaining
    > a driver.

    Drivers belong in the main kernel.org kernel tree. See
    Documentation/stable-api-nonsense.txt for why this is so, and
    Documentation/HOWTO for how to get this accomplished. It is explained
    in great detail there. If you have further questions about this, please
    let us know.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-12-03 22:57    [W:0.021 / U:65.928 seconds]