SubjectRe: ati X300 support?
Alistair John Strachan wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 December 2005 15:57, Gerhard Mack wrote:
>

>>I have it working in X.org with no problem. I just can't get the drm
>>module working in the kernel. Last time I tried to just add my PCI ids
>>the problem was a lack of PCIE support in the drm drivers.
>>

>I'd try again, I have a vague memory of reading a changelog a few releases ago
>that mentioned PCIe support in radeon-drm.
>

>>FYI the fglrx drivers suck badly. ATI hasn't bothered to keep their
>>drivers up to date at all and the result is that they finally have
>>working 2.6.14 drivers but only for 32 bit machines. x86_64 is still
>>broken on any recent kernel and it's been that way for months. ATI's tech
>>support basically gave up after several days and just informed me it
>>wasn't really supported and there is nothing they could do for me.
>>

>You're better off running open source drivers anyway, it's less hassle, you
>don't have to worry about every kernel upgrade breaking them, and it's only
>an X300 anyway -- on my Mobility 9600, I just play a few small games and
>expect OpenGL accelerated applications to work properly.
>
>If your goals are similar, they're probably achievable with mainline.

The DRI project only supports up to the Radeon 9200 unless I missed an
update and their page is outdated. Check the DRI ATI page for details.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATI

Now.. the fglrx driver supposedly supports the X300, but if ATI won't
support you on it that doesn't mean much, I guess.

-- Chris
Editor, PCBurn.com

  Last update: 2005-12-27 23:29    [W:0.065 / U:0.172 seconds]