    SubjectRe: [RFC] Let non-root users eject their ipods?

    >> All,
    >> I'm getting a little tired of my roommates not knowing how to safely
    >> eject their usb-flash disks from my system and I'd personally like it if
    >What exactly is ejecting flash media?

    (That's when the spring in the usb connector decides it had enough and
    spits the ipod cable out. It is advised to wear a helmet to not get hurt
    by the HV usb device, e.g. usb mass storage sticks. j/k)

    Ejecting flash media is what `sdparm -C eject /dev/sdX` does. In case of
    cdroms, that's eject. In case of zip drives, I guess, it will be - see
    above - unloading zip disks via springs (now these things really eject
    hard), and in case of mass storage drives that can usually not be ejected
    (so-called "non-removable media", such as harddisks), it disconnects them.
    Another stage after umount, so to speak. (And BTW, you cannot run `sdparm
    -C load` on these usb media again; at least I cannot for my memory stick.)

    Jan Engelhardt

      Last update: 2005-12-24 22:19    [W:0.019 / U:72.904 seconds]