    SubjectRe: Makefile targets: tar & rpm pkgs, while using O=<dir> as non-root
    On 19 Dec 2005, Jan-Benedict Glaw stated:
    > I've not really used out-of-tree building for Linux, so the tar*
    > targets are probably not really tested with that regard. Though I'll
    > check that and see if it works (of if a patch is needed.)

    Given the existence of `cp -al', I'm not quite sure what the point of
    out-of-tree building *is*. (I'm equally mystified by srcdir!=objdir
    builds; I can see their utility for software with many generated files
    and multi-stage bootstraps, like GCC, 'cos they simplify the makefiles,
    but for normal software? What's the point?)

    I mean, instead of

    cd linux-2.6.blah
    make blah O=/some/directory

    you can always do

    cp -al linux-2.6.blah /some/directory/
    cd /some/directory
    make blah

    unless you're so short of space that you can't store the object files
    and the source files on the same disk, and that should be a *very* rare
    complaint with today's disk sizes.

    `I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
    presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker

      Last update: 2005-12-20 16:44    [W:0.019 / U:10.836 seconds]