    SubjectRe: 2.6.15-rc5-rt2 slowness
    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > > > ok, i've added this back in - but we really need a cleaner port of SLAB
    > > >

    > > Actually, how much do you want that SLOB code? For the last couple of
    > > days I've been working on different approaches that can speed it up.
    > > Right now I have one that takes advantage of the different caches.
    > > But unfortunately, I'm dealing with a bad pointer some where that
    > > keeps making it bug. Argh!
    >
    > well, the SLOB is mainly about being simple and small. So as long as
    > those speedups are SMP-only, they ought to be fine. The problems are
    > mainly SMP related, correct?

    Actually, no. My test is to do a make install over NFS of a kernel that
    has already been built.

    The times I'm getting for the SLAB is ~26 seconds, the time for the SLOB
    is 1 minute 32 seconds. So your looking at >300% slowness here. The test
    bed is a UP. (I do that first before looking into SMP).

    I'm still trying to keep the SLOB simple. It's the lack of sleep that is
    making it hard ;)

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2005-12-20 15:07    [W:0.032 / U:91.756 seconds]