    SubjectRe: [RFC] Let non-root users eject their ipods?
    2005/12/20, Sander <sander@humilis.net>:
    > Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote (ao):
    > > >
    > > > You may find my question stupid, but what is wrong with umount ? That's
    > > > how I proceed with usb-flash and I've never sent any eject command to
    > > > it (I even didn't know that the ioctl would be accepted by an sd device).
    > >
    > > IMHO, umount doesn't guarantee sync, isn't it?

    Actually I was think umount(2), since this is the kernel list, but off
    topic here.

    > I'm pretty sure it does :-)

    That is because: usually your removable media is not the file system
    root, hence umount(8) can return successfully only if no processes are
    busy working on it.

    If you boot from or chroot/pivot into a removable media, and you
    remount it ro, and unplug it, then you may lose data.

    -- coywolf