    SubjectRe: Use enum to declare errno values
    2005/12/3, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>:
    > Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:
    >
    > > This is a reason why enums are worse than #defines.
    > >
    > > Unlike in other languages, C enum is not much useful in practices.
    >
    > Actually they are highly useful if you know how to use them. They allow
    > type checking, have auto increment, and are part of the language instead
    > of a feature of the preprocessor.

    Yes, I know type checking and auto increment. But they are not
    worthwhile, at least not for serious C programming. No, I don't know
    how to use them comfortably.

    What's wrong with sorted macros? They are more flexible and readable.
    enums just look weird. We also share macros b/w C and asm.

    You words on language and preprocessor doesn't make any sense.
    It's not a feature of the preprocessor, it's what cpp is for. Look, I
    call it Cpp. Without this `feature', what would a C preprocessor do?
    You've castrated cpp.

    Follow you logic, C standard should only specify C language, not
    anything of libc... I have no interest in arguing the relations b/w C
    and cpp.

    > > Maybe the designer wanted C to be as fancy as other languages? C
    > > shouldn't have had enum imho. Anyway we don't have any strong motives
    > > to switch to enums.
    >
    > The last sentence seems correct in spite of your misunderstanding of how
    > and why enums are used and useful. Like a driver who mis-read a map
    > wandering aimlessly and lost, you have come to the correct destination
    > by accident.

    lol

    > It would have been good to use enums in the first place, I can't see
    > changing now because of the effort involved.

    You contradict yourself rather.

    --
    Coywolf Qi Hunt
    http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/