SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks
El Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:34:57 +0200,
Dumitru Ciobarcianu <Dumitru.Ciobarcianu@iNES.RO> escribió:

> My point was that you don't know why those two OS have such a large
> stack. Just because you can't look at the source without being
> contaminated.

opensolaris is open source, you can look at their code.

But I don't think you'll find an answer there. My bet is: because
it'd be more difficult for their customers (even if opensolaris
is opensource it was born as propietary OS), because doing it
doesn't buys you performance and customers, there're not
lot of reasons for doing it, etc.

As I understand it, linux is "different". I'd say that the main
"philosophic" (not technical) reason for going 4K is: "because
we have the balls to write a 4k-stack-safe kernel". Quoting Linus:

"I hold open source people to higher standards. They are supposed to be
the people who do programming because it's an art-form, not because it's
their job."

  Last update: 2005-12-20 02:30    [W:0.579 / U:0.044 seconds]