    SubjectRe: Light-weight dynamically extended stacks
    On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 04:12:49PM -0800, Matt Mackall wrote:

    > Perhaps the time for this has come and gone, but it occurred to me
    > that it should be relatively straightforward to make a form of
    > dynamically extended stacks that are appropriate to the kernel.
    > While we have a good handle on most of the worst stack offenders, we
    > can still run into trouble with pathological cases (say, symlink
    > recursion for XFS on a RAID built from loopback mounts over NFS
    > tunneled over IPSEC through GRE). So there's probably no
    > one-size-fits-all when it comes to stack size.

    My count of bug reports for problems with in-kernel code with 4k stacks
    after Neil's patch went into -mm is still at 0. That's amazing
    considering how many people have claimed in this thread how unstable
    4k stacks were...

    > Rather than relying on guard pages and VM faults like userspace, we
    > can use a cooperative scheme where we "label" call paths that might be
    > extra deep (recursion through the block layer, network tunnels,
    > symlinks, etc.) with something like the following:
    > ret = grow_stack(function, arg, GFP_ATOMIC);
    > This is much like cond_resched() except for stack usage rather than
    > CPU usage. grow_stack() checks if we're in the danger zone for stack
    > usage (say 1k remaining), and if so, allocates a new stack and
    > swizzles the stack pointer over to it.

    If more than 3 kB of stack is used on i386 that's a bug.
    And we should fix bugs, not work around them.

    CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW in arch/i386/kernel/irq.c shows the correct
    - a debug option for not harming performance
    - dump_stack() when too much stack is used

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-12-19 19:40    [W:0.021 / U:43.104 seconds]