    SubjectRe: [patch 00/15] Generic Mutex Subsystem

    * Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

    > > The numbers make me suspect that Ingo's mutexes are unfair too, but I've
    > > not looked at the code yet.
    >
    > Yes, Ingo's code does act like this unfairness. Interesting also is
    > that Ingo's original code for his rt_mutexes was fair, and it killed
    > performance for high priority processes. I introduced a "lock
    > stealing" algorithm that would check if the process trying to grab the
    > lock again was a higher priority then the one about to get it, and if
    > it was, it would "steal" the lock from it unfairly as you said.

    yes, it's unfair - but stock semaphores are unfair too, so what i've
    measured is still a fair comparison of the two implementations.

    lock stealing i've eliminated from this patch-queue, and i've moved the
    point of acquire to after the schedule(). (lock-stealing is only
    relevant for PI, where we always need to associate an owner with the
    lock, hence we pass ownership at the point of release.)

    > Now, you are forgetting about PREEMPT. Yes, on multiple CPUs, and
    > that is what Ingo is testing, to wait for the other CPU to schedule in
    > and run is probably not as bad as with PREEMPTION. (Ingo, did you have
    > preemption on in these tests?). [...]

    no, CONFIG_PREEMPT was disabled in every test result i posted. (but i
    get similar results even with it enabled.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-12-19 17:59    [W:0.022 / U:59.416 seconds]