SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks
Date

On Dec 18, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Is this just FUD or can you give an example where this is a real
> problem that can't be solved by using kmalloc()?

Can you prove "Under all uses, circumstances and code requirements we
will do fine with 4K stacks today and tomorrow" ? How will deeply
nested function calls, longer call chains etc. be solved by kmalloc()?

> Therefore, your point it would make code much more complex sounds
> strange.

My point wasn't that reducing stack will make code much more complex.
My point was some type of functionality might validly require complex
code which requires more stack - there are capable and affordable
machines to solve such problems and all we are doing with 4kB stacks
is that preventing it.

Again - what is the pressing need to remove the "8Kb Stack _Option_"?
What problem does it solve on 64 bit arches?

Parag

  Last update: 2005-12-18 17:01    [W:0.091 / U:1.608 seconds]