    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks
    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 02:00:13PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >
    > > Supporting 8k stacks is a small amount of code and nobody has seen a need
    > > to make changes in there for quite a long time. So there's little cost to
    > > keeping the existing code.
    > >
    > > And the existing code is useful:
    > >
    > > a) people can enable it to confirm that their weird crash was due to a
    > > stack overflow.
    > >
    > > b) If I was going to put together a maximally-stable kernel for a
    > > complex server machine, I'd select 8k stacks. We're still just too
    > > squeezy, and we've had too many relatively-recent overflows, and there
    > > are still some really deep callpaths in there.
    >
    > a1) People turn off 4k stacks and never report the problem / noone
    > really debugs and fixes the reported problem.
    >
    > Me threatening people with enabling 4k stacks for everyone already
    > resulted in several fixes.

    How about this, we apply this patch and perhaps add some debug option to
    enable 8k by changing THREAD_SIZE. This way we have the seperate interrupt
    stacks and 8k stacks for when someone suspects a stack overflow.

      Last update: 2005-12-16 02:46    [W:4.071 / U:0.376 seconds]