    SubjectRe: agpgart.ko can't be unloaded
    On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:19:10PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I recently noticed that agpgart.ko (and corresponding hardware driver)
    > can't be unloaded:
    > Module Size Used by
    > intel_agp 19228 1
    > agpgart 27592 1 intel_agp
    > The same is true for via_agp and probably for all other drivers.
    > The problem is agpgart increases reference count of hw driver
    > to prevent it from being unloaded, and the hw driver references
    > agpgart so agpgart can't be unloaded either.
    > Should agpgart be split into 2 parts, one (which would have to be unloaded
    > first) managing the thing and the other - the library referenced by
    > hw drivers?

    the reference on the chipset driver should only be bumped when
    /dev/agpgart is open()'d, but currently that isn't the case.

    > I wouldn't write about this but there is code to unload them so I think
    > it's not intentional.

    The reference counting has been horked since the 'new' module loader
    appeared[*], and never got fixed as I've nearly always found something
    more important to work on, and it's not really a problem for 99%
    of users. If someone found the time to write a patch to make it do the
    right thing though, I'd be happy to merge it as long as it's done

    [*] In fact, my first attempt at fixing it way back then may have
    even made the problem worse.

      Last update: 2005-12-15 21:56    [W:0.044 / U:4.096 seconds]