    SubjectRe: Repeated USB disconnect and reconnect with Wacom Intuos3 6x11 tablet
    On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:42:54PM +0100, Denny Priebe wrote:
    > On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:38:32AM -0800, Greg KH wrote with possible deletions:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > > > These disconnects and reconnects disappear as soon as there's
    > > > a process reading either /dev/input/mouse0 or /dev/input/event5
    > > > (mouse0 and event5 according to my setup).
    >
    > > Sounds like a hardware problem, the kernel can't cause a device to
    > > electronically disconnect itself like this.
    >
    > thanks for your reply, Greg.
    >
    > > I suggest plugging this into a different port, using a powered hub, or
    > > checking that the cable is still good.
    >
    > I tried what you have suggested. Unfortunately, this doesn't change
    > anything.
    >
    > What confuses me a bit is that theses USB disconnects do not appear
    > as soon as I read what the tablet provides.
    >
    > Could it be that the usb driver doesn't check for a connect status change
    > while there's a process reading /dev/input/{mouse,event}? so that I do not
    > see these disconnects while reading the tablet data?

    No, it's an electronic signal happening on the USB hub, the hub notifies
    the kernel when a disconnect happens, it has nothing to do with the
    driver connected to the actual device.

    So I really think that this is an electronic issue, sorry. Can you
    return this device and get a replacement one?

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-12-15 17:34    [W:0.021 / U:94.816 seconds]