    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 09:59 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
    > Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
    > >On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 09:25 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
    > >

    > >>Salyzyn, Mark wrote:
    > >>Uh, a copyrighted standard? They are trying to live up to a secret
    > >>standard, one they cannot publish?
    > >>Don't sound like a standard to me - a standard is something known,
    > >>that is the purpose of standardization.
    > >>This sounds like "we standardized the voltage for household lamps, but
    > >>we won't tell if it is 110V, 220V or something completely different."
    > >>I really hope I misunderstood this.
    > >
    > >s/copyright/patent/ then you will get it probably more right.
    > >Given (beautiful and readable) source code, a patent infringement is
    > >probably much easier to proove than with disassembled output of gcc-4.x.
    > >
    > Oh. So they are infringing already, and just trying to hide it?

    ACK - there are so many patents out there (where many them are granted
    for software as such, trivial, prior art and/or combinations of them)

    > This is so common that it applies to most drivers? :-(

    ACK. But this fact is probably not be present in the mind of the average
    (none-techie) beancounter, manager or decider.

    > >>Standards compliance should never get in the way of open source.
    > >>Sure - if the owner modifies the source, then the thing may no longer
    > >>comply with the standard. In some cases even illegal or dangerous.
    > >
    > >Propriatory vendors (the larger they are, the more it makes sense) do
    > >that all the time without telling their customers/users (usually
    > >somewhere hidden within some tools which produce not compliant garbage)
    > >and the strategy is called "customer lockin".
    > >
    > Closed source may lock customers out, not in. I don't see how an

    Yes, also. But I was here refering to software in general, e.g. the
    excess of the browser war in creating new HTML entities which were
    silently used by the own "WYSIWYG-HTML-Editor" (as if such could exist -
    not even in theory).

    > open source driver makes it easier for the customer to get away
    > from the product. If the proprietary nvidia driver went open source,
    > it still wouldn't work with competing cards - the hw is too different.
    > Copying the _hardware_ is still a copyright infringement, and possibly
    > also a patent issue.

    Hardware-related, ACK.

    Firmix Software GmbH
    mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55
    Embedded Linux Development and Services

      Last update: 2005-12-14 10:24    [W:0.029 / U:3.696 seconds]