    SubjectRe: [RFC] ip / ifconfig redesign
    Date
    Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
    > Al Boldi wrote:
    > > The current ip / ifconfig configuration is arcane and inflexible. The
    > > reason being, that they are based on design principles inherited from
    > > the last century.
    >
    > Yes I agree, however note that some of the asumptions are backed up and
    > required by RFCs. For example the binding of addresses to interfaces. This
    > is especially strongly required in the IPV6 world with all the scoping and
    > renumbering RFCs.

    Can you point me to those RFCs? Thanks!

    > The things you want to change need to be changed in kernel space, btw.

    True.

    I mentioned ip / ifconfig not to imply that they are the culprit, but instead
    to expose the underlying kernel implementation.

    This does not mean though, that ip / ifconfig cannot offer an emulated OSI
    compliant mode, which would be an impetus to change the underlying
    implementation.

    Thanks!

    --
    Al