    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    Luke-Jr wrote:

    >On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:14, you wrote:
    >

    >>Luke-Jr wrote:
    >>

    >>>The ATi Radeon 9200 works fine...
    >>>

    >>Lucky you. Mine doesn't. Using 3D on it makes the machine unstable,
    >>and the performance is apalling too.
    >>

    >Hm, well I don't have DRI enabled on my primary desktop... just on a second
    >one dedicated to gaming. Not sure if that makes any difference...
    >

    >>So I'm looking for something else - a radeon 7000 is cheap . . .
    >>

    >That'll outperform a 9200? ;)

    Actually yes, because something is clearly wrong.
    The pci 9200 SE can run tuxracer at 640x480 - not smooth
    but playable until it locks the machine after a few minutes.

    The AGP matrox G550 is better, it runs 1280x1024 tuxracer
    with a unknown but noticeable higher framerate. According to
    people I talked to before, the 9200SE is supposed to outperform
    this, even with a pci bus. But it is not even close and I don't
    bother running 3D on it any more due to the hanging.

    >>And don't say that a crash during a 3D game isn't important -
    >>

    >A system crash? Worst I've ever seen was a X crash, back before I got my X
    >configs good. If you mean a game crash, I wouldn't know... half the time it'd
    >probably be my fault. ;)

    I don't mind a game crash - I can always find another game. But it will
    at least screw up that card so bad that I need a reboot to get
    a working xserver running on that display. Typically, the
    crash ends with a 99% cpu loop in the kernel, a blocked display,
    and perhaps the other xserver gets in trouble too.

    >>it is a two-user machine and the other user is not amused when this happens.
    >>

    >Maybe he would be if it showed a BSOD? :p

    Nope. A windows crash isn't any "better", and they are used to
    the linux-level of stability anyway.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-12-12 12:26    [W:0.022 / U:5.076 seconds]