    SubjectRe: [SCSI] SCSI block devices larger then 2TB
    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

    > On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:21:09AM +0100, Michal Feix wrote:
    >> Greetings!
    >>
    >> Current aic79xxx driver doesn't see SCSI devices larger, then 2TB. It
    >> fails with READ CAPACITY(16) command. As far as I can understand, we
    >> already have LBD support in kernel for some time now. So it's only the
    >
    >> drivers, that need to be fixed? LSI driver is the only one I found
    >> working with devices over 2TB; I couldn't test any other driver, as I
    >> don't have the hardware. Is it really so bad, that only LSI chipset
    > and
    >> maybe few others are capable of seeng such devices?
    >
    > I definitly works fine with Qlogic parallel scsi and fibrechannel and
    > emulex
    > fibre channel controllers aswell as lsi/engenio megaraid controllers.
    >
    > It looks like aci79xx is just broken in that repsect. Unfortunately the
    > driver doesn't have a proper maintainer, we scsi developers put in fixes
    > and cleanups but we don't have the full documentation to fix such
    > complicated
    > issue. If you have a support contract with Adaptec complain to them.

    I was at a BOF at LISA last week on this subject, the guy running it said
    that the common ultra320 chip used for parallel scsi doesn't implment READ
    CAPACITY(16), but instead implemnets a propriatary READ CAPACITY(12) which
    allows you to break the 2TB limit.

    I asked him to send the patch that he's been maintaining seperatly (and
    providing to his customers, he's a storage hardware vendor) to the list to
    get integrated.

    I'll see if I have any notes with his address on them, or you could check
    the BOF schedule online to see if it got listed there.

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-12-12 20:05    [W:0.022 / U:150.732 seconds]