    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

    David S. Miller wrote:

    >From: Gerrit Huizenga <gh@us.ibm.com>
    >Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:30:18 -0800
    >

    >>OSDL.org has no desire to advocate binary drivers in any way and I
    >>don't expect that they will do anything to educate or influence their
    >>members or the global vendor/IHV/developer communities to use binary
    >>drivers. Further, I expect they will do exactly the opposite, in
    >>particular, educate members, developers, IHV's on how to deploy
    >>open source drivers and the benefits of doing so.
    >>

    >You might want to read the following before stating such
    >things:
    >
    > http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/03/#osdl_gkai
    >
    >Thanks.

    Did you also read Greg's follow up posting:

    http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/07#osdl_gkai2

    where he says that he was wrong about OSDL pushing for binary drivers?
    (Not that the update was a glowing review of OSDL in general ;-))

    I agree with Gerrit - from where I sit on OSDL's DCL tech forum, I have
    not seen any push for binary drivers and have seen consistent pressure
    pushing towards GPL'ed only drivers.

    That position is strongly spelled out in the OSDL sponsored open drivers
    page as well.

    Regards,

    ric

      Last update: 2005-12-12 18:59    [W:0.022 / U:0.284 seconds]