SubjectRe: [RFC 1/6] Framework
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:14:53PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:

> >>Before this goes through, I have a full patch to do similar for the
> >>rest of the statistics, and which will make names consistent with what
> >>you have (shouldn't be a lot of clashes though).
> >

> >I also have a patch to change them all to local_t, greatly simplifying
> >it (e.g. the counters can be done inline then)
> >

> Cool. That is a patch that should go on top of mine, because most of
> my patch is aimed at moving modifications under interrupts-off sections,

That's obsolete then. With local_t you don't need to turn off interrupts
anymore.

> However I'm still worried about the use of locals tripling the cacheline
> size of a hot-path structure on some 64-bit architectures. Probably we
> should get them to try to move to the atomic64 scheme before using
> local_t here.

I think the right fix for those is to just change the fallback local_t
to disable interrupts again - that should be a better tradeoff and
when they have a better alternative they can implement it in the arch.

(in fact i did a patch for that too, but considered throwing it away
again because I don't have a good way to test it)

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-12-12 05:24    [W:1.003 / U:0.104 seconds]