SubjectRe: GNU/Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
On Sat, 2005-12-10 17:43:20 +0100, Helge Hafting <helgehaf@aitel.hist.no> wrote:
> > GPL "religion"
> > have evolved, with the leaders living in orgnaizations that subsist from
> > handouts and
> > donations. This movement has spawned a global attitude that has no
> > respect
> > for IP rights, and it's extended itself to no respect for human rights,
> > or any other rights
> > of the indivdual. That's the legacy this has left and the ultimate
> > conclusion.
>
> Less respect for IP rights - possibly. Perhaps that's a good thing though,
> some of us thinks such rights are a bit overrated.

_Less_ respect? I'm sorry, no. Once I started working on free
software, I really started having raising respect for what you call
Intellectual Property. ...and also recognizing some special words:

"patented" -- product will be extraordinary expensive and probably not
any longer actively developed (like it would be if
there was real competition).
"special" -- product will use parts and materials that are hard to
obtain, hard to repair and probably expensive, too.

"Intellectual Property" means to not do the very best for the
customers, but for the company. So if somebody fights for their IP to
be kept secret, that's just as good as writing "I'm selfish and only
want to get your money."

Thanks.

I try to share my IP to teaching people using free software, but also
doing some limited hardware soldering etc. Lots of fun, won't create
secret IP and will actually educate people to be creative instead of
consuming television...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O

  Last update: 2005-12-10 20:08    [W:0.191 / U:0.732 seconds]