SubjectRe: merge status
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 14:01 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, James Bottomley wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 13:35 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > -rw-r--r-- 1 akpm akpm 339882 Nov 9 11:19 git-scsi-misc.patch
> >
> > This one is all 2.6.15 material. I think I now (as of one minute ago)
> > have it updated to the last of the 2.6.15 (barring bug fix) patches.
> > I'd like to regression test it for a day or two, so I plan to request
> > the final merger on Friday.
>
> I'm hoping there aren't any infrastructure upheavals that break drivers
> again, because if there are, I think we're going to have to make a
> separate rule for things like that: they have to be merged early in the
> sequence or not at all.

There are one or two. Part of the delay is getting sign offs from all
the people involved.

> And in _general_ I find it very wrong to consciously leave the merge until
> the last day of the merge window.

Well ... I can give you the URL to pull now if you want ... I'd just
prefer to give this lot another day or so of testing.

> If that keeps happening, I think I'll just make sure that I don't always
> merge on the last day or two. Just to make sure that submaintainers don't
> "game" the system the wrong way. Maybe my "two weeks" are sometimes just
> ten days long, who knows..

That's a nice theory, except that it's my contributors who drop me in it
by leaving their patch sets until you declare a kernel, dumping the
integration testing on me in whatever time window is left.

James