SubjectRe: 2.6.14: CR4 not needed to be inspected on the 486 anymore?
linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Zachary Amsden wrote:
>

>>Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>>>What's so weird about 486s? Besides, for testing it doesn't have to be
>>>one -- you will get away with a 386, too. I have neither anymore, but
>>>there are people around still using them.
>>>

>>Because I hold in my hand "i486 Microprocessor Programmer's Reference
>>Manual, c 1990", and it has no mention whatsoever of CR4, and all
>>documentation I had until Friday had either no mention of CR4, or
>>something to the effect of "new on Pentium, the CR4 register ..." So
>>I've had to re-adjust my definition of 486, which was weird.
>>
>>Zach
>>-
>>

>Yes, and undocumented opcodes might not fault. They might do nothing
>or something strange. It's not a good idea to use an undocumented
>opcode in kernel space. The read-from-CR4 in kernel space, hoping
>that an immoral-opcode trap will save you is not good practice.
>
>You might reset the processor.

No, you won't. #UD and #GP will not (I hesitate to say never, but other
than a processor bug, I believe that is correct) reset the processor.
And CR4 is not "undocumented", even on 486.

What is immoral about opcode trapping?

Zach

  Last update: 2005-11-07 18:39    [W:0.097 / U:0.040 seconds]