    SubjectRE: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only -107 bytes (fwd)

    I have only seen this problem with large numbers of NFS clients, given
    your address I suspect that would be the issue.

    What kernel are you running? I saw this issue on the 2.4 series, the
    large 2.6 things we have built avoided using TCP given that we had
    seen this issue.

    There is a calculation someplace in nfs that determines how many of these
    things exist, is is some base + so many per nfs thread. If you
    search for message you have there are some posts on the NFS lists
    about it that I made last year.

    On the client side each separate mount against a server counts as
    one, so if each client is mounting /opt and /home and /data and
    you have 100 machines you need at least 300.

    The solution that I came to was to use UDP mounts, as this limit
    is not there. In the situation I had we would have had to change
    the number of nfsd to 256 and even that was going to be close,
    and the 256 caused some other failures. To not have the issue you
    will need to use UDP mounts everywere if you have enough tcp mounts
    to cause the error it will affect the udp mounts in a similar bad way.

    We also could have changed the thread to resource count, but we had
    some other process starvation issue with TCP that seemed to not be
    duplicatable with UDP.

    Atipa Technologies

      Last update: 2005-11-07 16:42    [W:0.023 / U:65.140 seconds]