SubjectRe: negative timeout can be set up by setsockopt system call
On 11/4/05, Nish Aravamudan <>
> In Ram's specific case, I think, the call path is sys_setsockopt() ->
> sock_setsockopt() -> sock_set_timeout, which has a definition of:
> static int sock_set_timeout(long *timeo_p, char __user *optval, int

>> Exactly right.

> Ram, what is the expected behavior of negative values in the timeval?
> And what are you seeing happen right now?
> As of 2.6.14, looks like we convert any non-zero values into jiffies
> and store them in sk->sk_{rcv,snd}timeo...
>> I don't see any problem from the kernel side but the application
times out immediately causing certain failures as the schedule_timeout
returns immediately in case of negative values. Shouldn't there be a
check for negative values and return error to the application so that
it can handle it.

> This could be, and I think is what Ram was asking about -- I've asked
> for some clarification.
> Thanks,
> Nish

Ram Gupta