    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 01:28:23PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> So I'm planning on continuing with it unchanged for now. Two-week merge
    >> window until -rc1, and then another -rc kernel roughly every week until
    >> release. With the goal being 6 weeks, and 8 weeks being ok.
    >> I don't think anybody has been really unhappy with this approach? Hmm?
    > I believe it was a good experience. However, I still find it sad that
    > there are changes between the latest -rc and the final version. This
    > time, it seems it did not cause trouble, but in the past, it happened
    > several times, because any valid fix can have side effects.
    > I think that if you could announce what you intend to release with a
    > message like "I will make this -final tomorrow", there would be some
    > time to test builds in various configs, and check that no obvious bug
    > has been introduced.

    A -final should never be changed from the last -rc. That defeats the
    purpose of having -rc releases (rc == 'release candidate' ;)). If you
    do make changes to the last -rc, then you need to release another -rc
    with those changes. If all's good, then you can release that /last/
    - -rc with /no/ changes as the One and True Release.

    - -sandalle

    - --
    Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer | | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU #196285 |
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-11-07 05:47    [W:0.020 / U:95.304 seconds]