On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 01:28:23PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> So I'm planning on continuing with it unchanged for now. Two-week merge
>> window until -rc1, and then another -rc kernel roughly every week until
>> release. With the goal being 6 weeks, and 8 weeks being ok.
>> I don't think anybody has been really unhappy with this approach? Hmm?
> I believe it was a good experience. However, I still find it sad that
> there are changes between the latest -rc and the final version. This
> time, it seems it did not cause trouble, but in the past, it happened
> several times, because any valid fix can have side effects.
> I think that if you could announce what you intend to release with a
> message like "I will make this -final tomorrow", there would be some
> time to test builds in various configs, and check that no obvious bug
> has been introduced.

A -final should never be changed from the last -rc. That defeats the
purpose of having -rc releases (rc == 'release candidate' ;)). If you
do make changes to the last -rc, then you need to release another -rc
with those changes. If all's good, then you can release that /last/
- -rc with /no/ changes as the One and True Release.

- -sandalle

- --
Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer | | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU #196285 |
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)